Note From the Editor: WE NEED VOLUNTEERS!!! If you like this post, please come over to https://gitter.im/The_Etherian/Lobby and cover a dapp.
Weekly Update 3.05.2017-3.12.2017
- Reddit Post: AKASHA newest release (0.5.2) and a quick update
- Akasha 0.5.2 – Major bugs fixed.
- Planning talks regarding possible collaboration with Status, uPort and SWARM.
- Code “refactoring” started as well as Light client development.
- Productive talks with Vitalik and Vlad.
- Blog Post: AUGUR FRONT-END UPDATE – MARCH 8TH
- Discussions regarding future marketing, targeted at prediction market creators in hopes they will in turn promote their created markets.
- Augur Dev speaks at MIT Bitcoin Expo, see video.
- QR codes can be used for deposit address.
Casper (Dev Channel) – Proof of Stake Protocol
- Still discussing the relationship between slashing conditions, consensus, and finalization of blocks.
- One way Casper differs from other bft protocols:
“[Vitalik Buterin] or more specifically, there’s no strict requirement for a block’s parent to be finalized before that block can be created
[Loi Luu] Right
[Loi Luu] Here its different from tendermint or related bft protocols where the consensus messages can be transferred offline, and the block is only created if it has enough signatures
[Loi Luu] So a block can be finalised at creation
[Vitalik Buterin] right, here views and sequence numbers are interwoven”
- Blog Post: ChronoBank’s TIME launches on four exchanges!
- Call for users to ask Poloniex to list TIME coin: https://poloniex.com/coinRequest
- Bittrex added TIME
- Lots of price discussion about TIME
- $5000 giveaway in design, development and strategy for one (1) Social Change Organization. Any organization making the world a better place can apply. http://www.thegoodkind.co/launch-giveaway
- Call for contributors to CollectiveOne: a method and platform to develop open, decentralized and collaborative projects: projects to which anyone can, potentially, contribute, and which are collectively owned and self-governed by their contributors in proportion to the value of their contributions. A prototype is already online with hopes to one day migrate to Colony and Ethereum.
- Blog Post: Announcing Kovan — A Stable Ethereum Public Testnet
- Blog Post: Letter from the CEO — Some Context Regarding Kovan
- Blog Post: Digix Dev Update — Mar 10 2017
- Testing is back on using Kovan: here is a faucet for test-eth on Kovan
- Some more competition: Britain’s mint is trying to make gold act more like bitcoin
- Original timeline from before the attacks (assuming it will be the same now that we’re on Kovan–h/t tonymc):
- DigixCore 2.0 on Ropsten 10–14 days
- DigixDAO SimpleVote on Ropsten 4 days
- DigixGold Marketplace for Ropsten 21 days
- Third party code review~45 days
- “Hi there, we are still at phase 1 of the process encountered a one week delay[.]
We deployed dgx tokens on Kovan, and will be deploying the assets contract this week[.] We are still considering options but maker dev themselves seems to be a good choice to review our code as their contract architecture is solid, and have similar experiences like us while building out our smart contracts[.]”–kcchng
- Implemented a messaging system.
- Email notification to freelancers recommending jobs matching their skills.
- Reached 150 registered users.
- First testing of Ethlance on Status (Mobile Ethereum).
- There’s a fake Auryn out there (he’s since been banned).
- Team is keeping quiet regarding the ‘pre-alpha’, no dev updates this week.
- Blog Post: On the Road to Brass
- Golem seeks public bullhorn for decentralized distributed computing, see reddit post.
- Little updates given on slack and some people are starting to complain.
- ICN teams held a presentation at Coinagenda.
- A meetup was held in Munich, Germany on the 7th of March.
- ICN co-founders thoughts on BTC ETF pre results, see article.
- News Article: Tech Announcer
- Melon Port 1 of 10 to collaborate on the testnet Kovan.
- MLN tokens will become tradeable on 15th March.
- Meetup starting in London on 20th March, more meetups to come.
- The DAPP Review covers MelonPort see video.
- Status interview.
- Blog Post: Meet our new Command Designs!
- Ethereum DApp Creators // Issue #01 Melonport
- Ethereum Contributors Series // Issue #01 ethereumNick
- Milestone: 0.9.4 (test/patch/regression week).
- Forthcoming UI overhaul (Send/Browse/Location).
- Working on ability to compile Solidity in Status.
- Actively exploring a token model.
- Suomalainen Osapuoli!
- Dr. Aron Fischer @ EDCON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc7DUIUYM4k
- Proof of concept for live streaming video on top of Swarm: https://github.com/livepeer/go-livepeer (Editors Note: additional article regarding Livepeer).
- Lots of high-level communication between developers.
- Discussed and debated: bzz:// vs. bzzr://
- Will remain in stealth mode, until Q2 2017, when they expect to release the MVP (Rights Management Gateway).
- “1) we will have more working/complete examples for issuing claims soon 2) yes typically your app/server will have an uPort identity, 3) and we are currently working on tooling to make these app identities easy to mange.”–Zach Ferland
- “We are are releasing a tool very shortly to allow you to create an app identity (really a uport for your app). Your approach looks correct. However you need to a uport registry entry for the app, which is what our tool basically does.
If you can wait a week or so we should be able to get you going easily. The ropsten issues have delayed the launch of this a bit.”–Pelle Braendgaard
- Re: using Chasqui–“the reliance on Chasqui is for UX reasons when interacting with a desktop browser. In the future we expect more and more interactions with dapps to be done through a mobile browser and/or native apps, where the Chasqui server technically is not needed.”–Christian Lundkvist
- Still no solution to Ropsten delays, but the team is working on it.
- Blog Post: Team Spotlight | Tom Nash
- On delayed Bitcoin transfers: “[A]ny confirmed transactions that don’t show up on the dashboard, will be credited with the bonus they were in line for at the time of the confirmation. [A]ny unconfirmed transactions won’t be credited with bonus until they are confirmed.” -@tomnash
- Discussion on the balance between Negative Expected Value vs. Positive Expected Utility.
- Changelly.com wanting to add TRST after ICO.
- WeTrust to have four deterrents to thwart bad actors: Reputation Risk/Reviews, Legal Risk, Collateral Risk, Smart Contract Bounty (Self-Enforcement). Participants can opt-in to different levels of security. Currently working on implementing Legal Risk and Collateral Risk.
- 0.3% of smart contract fees go to WeTrust (may be lowered depending on number of participants).
- Big thanks to Evan Van Ness for featuring us in his weekly post, please give him a subscription to his weekly email newsletter. His weekly post is the most in-depth and informative look into the ethereum ecosystem you’re going to get. Here’s a link to his site: http://www.weekinethereum.com/
- A nod of appreciation to @3esmit for putting so much work into our internal Etherian participation token.
- Congratulations to u/ethermate for winning our logo competition!
- Big thanks to Joe Urgo for featuring us in his daily post, The Dapp Daily. The Dapp Daily is your go-to daily summary of what’s happening in the ethereum ecosystem.
jarredchase__twitter: Swarm, Status, Colony, WeTrust, ChronoBank
truewavebreak: ICONOMI, Golem, Augur, AKASHA, MelonPort
MrNebbiolo: uPort, Casper, FirstBlood, Digix
PΞther: Ethlance, SingularDTV
Disclaimer: All information is taken from our volunteers at face value, if you have a complaint about one of our volunteers or one of our posts please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will investigate the matter.